I have been wanting to buy a new couch since, well…Joel and I got married. His parents graciously have let us use a couch that was sitting in his cousin’s garage. But, as great as that is, I’ve been looking for something new. I feel like it is the hardest thing ever especially because Joel and I don’t have $2,000 to spend on a new couch. The budget is possible but it just takes a LOT of searching.
My idea of the perfect couch has made quite the progression. First, I wanted something like this guy here:
This, however, was out of our budget SO I have been searching (what feels like) the entire internet for something similar.
That’s when I found this guy:
Better price, a similar shape…but NOW I want something that LOOKS comfortable. I’m not entirely sure what that looks like but here are some ideas…
Maybe one of these days, we will actually purchase a new couch but until then I will scour the internet for options!
Here are some things I have learned about couch buying thus far:
- Colors are not always as depicted online. For instance, I saw this one sofa in this yellowy color – it looked mustard – and I thought, “Hey, that could be cool.” I went to the store and I wanted to rip my eyeballs out because it was kinda green and disgusting and NOTHING like the picture.
- Always SIT on the sofas! I kept looking at some of my favorite online sites (like Joss and Main) thinking I might be able to find a sofa. But after going to sit on a few that I saw online, I learned not all sofas are comfortable!
- It’s important to see the fabric in person. There was another sofa I saw online that I wanted to look at in person. When I did, the fabric was stripy and weird, and not nearly as soft as I wanted the fabric to be.
- Ask about warranties or return policies. What happens if the frame breaks? Or the fabric tears? Or something mysteriously goes wrong?
- Hidden fees! Some places have their sofas on location in the stock room and you can carry them out of the store. Other places require you to pay a delivery fee because they are having the items shipped down from a warehouse outside of the store. *This is not really a hidden fee BUT rather something you want to be aware of when purchasing a couch.
I would love to see your favorite couch – if you’d like, post a picture of or link to your dream couch in the comments section!